Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hammy is found!

This is a continuation story from the last post...

So after I told Jay that Hammy went to pick blackberries and that the snake did not eat him, we had to find a hamster that looked like Hammy. I thought, how hard would it be to find a dark brown hamster. Well, the truth is, it is VERY hard. I had everyone that I know searching all the pet stores in Southeast Texas for one. No luck! Damon even went to every store (including Mom & Pop Pet Stores) in Mid-County. What a GREAT Dad he is! (And great husband for trying to help me with the story that I made up for Jay.) One day passes and we can't find a hamster that looks like Hammy and given it to Jay to help with breaking his heart. The poor little guy would go out on the back porch ever every couple of hours and yell into the pasture, "Hammy, time to come home!" Several times. I was getting desperate!!
But we are hoping that PetCo will get one in on their shipment that was coming in the next day. So I called the PetCo in Beaumont, no luck. They didn't get any dark brown ones in. Okay at this point I am praying sooooo hard because I only have one shot left. The PetCo in Mid-County. I forgot to tell you that a friend of mine was going to be coming on Wednesday from Houston. So I also called all the PetCos in Houston to see if they had a Hammy "Look-A-Like". No luck, the Houston stores didn't either. I was seriously getting nervous. What do I tell Jay? That Hammy decided that he didn't want to come back from picking blackberries and went to vacation with his family for the summer. I guess I could have written a letter from if Hammy was home. So finally the Mid-County store got their shipment in. A guy working there described one of the new arrivals and he sounded like he looked just like Hammy #1. YAY!!!!!! So Damon went over there right after work. He called me when he got to the cage. "Jodie, there is not a dark brown hamster in here. The lady here said that they have already sold several hamsters today and I guess someone bought the one that looked like Hammy." Oh, my heart sunk into my stomach. Then I hear Damon, "Wait, there is one hiding in the little house. Let me get the lady over here to take it out. Oh it does look like Hammy. But a lot smaller!" We then try to figure out how to explain to Jay that Hammy is smaller. The new one is just a baby and Hammy was an adult. Okay, I can work with this. So needless to say, we came up with a plan. Damon bought 2 hamsters so that Jay wouldn't notice that Hammy was smaller. And it worked! We came home from meeting Damon for dinner. (Damon drove faster to get home quicker to but the hamsters in the cage. My parents even thought to put a few blackberries in the cage at the top. To cover our story.) Before we left I knew that Damon would be bringing the hamsters home and so I was fixing the cage back up with new bedding and everything. And Jay saw me and asked if we could leave the cage open just in-case Hammy came home while we were gone. And Hammy DID! When we got out of the car Jay didn't bother coming into the house. He wanted to see Hammy! So he ran around back to see 2 hamsters in the cage. Hammy and a friend that he met while picking blackberries. : ) So now we have Hammy & Blackberry! Before going to bed, Jay was talking to Hammy and telling him that he can't go pick blackberries anymore because he really missed him. And that if he really wanted blackberries that all he needed to do was ask and Jay would go pick them for him. So yesterday, our family ended with a happy heart! I am so grateful for a husband that helps me with my little white lies to my children. He was such a great sport for helping me look for and getting Hammy # 2 and Blackberry. I really am a lucky girl! So here are some pictures of us with Hammy and Blackberry.




1 comment:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Oh I'm so glad it got all sorted out!