Friday, May 13, 2011

Our CSF Journey

This is a follow up post about what all has happened since the last post or should I say, vent. I actually wanted to give a little bit more detail about CSF. Here is what I found on the web that describes it the best...

Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), Liquor cerebrospinalis, is a clear, colorless bodily fluid, that occupies the subarachnoid space and theventricular system around and inside the brain and spinal cord. In essence, the brain "floats" in it.

The CSF occupies the space between the arachnoid mater (the middle layer of the brain cover,meninges), and the pia mater (the layer of the meninges closest to the brain). It constitutes the content of all intra-cerebral (inside the brain, cerebrum) ventricles, cisterns, and sulci(singular sulcus), as well as the central canal of the spinal cord.

It acts as a "cushion" or buffer for the cortex, providing a basic mechanical and immunologicalprotection to the brain inside the skull.

Now with that said, here is what all we experienced yesterday. We started out by having to be down in the Medical Center in Downtown Houston yesterday morning at 9am. We had really high hopes about the appointment since other Doctors we had spoken with gave great hopes about the surgery. Telling us about how simple of a procedure it was and that it was out-patient (meaning that he would get to go home a few hours after the surgery) and that he would be back to work in a couple of days. Well, after a long wait, we were finally able to see the Dr., Samer Fakhri, MD, FACS, FRCS(C). First he wanted a sample of the liquid, CSF, that Damon was leaking out of his left side of his nose. So they gave us a small test tube and it was really hard to get it in there since when it comes out, it kind of goes all over the place. We were able to get about 3/4" to 1" in there. The Dr. was really shocked that there was that much fluid coming out. We then explained to him that there was actually more on the floor then in the test tube and this seemed to alarm him. So after talking for a while he said that with the symptoms that were described, Damon's past history with the old wreck and with the quantity of liquid that was coming out, that he was almost 100% certain that it was indeed CSF. But he would still have to send the tube off for testing and would know in a few days. Now with that said, he normally has the patients come back after conformation that it is indeed CSF before he orders any more testing to move towards surgery. He also said that he never moves forward without the results but he really wanted to move forward with Damon and order the MRI and CT that day instead of wasting more time after the CSF test results come back in. So we spent the rest of the day, till 5:30pm doing MRIs and CTs. Dr. Fakhri then explained the surgery. They would put Damon under and then a Neuro surgeon would administer a colored dye into Damon's spine. This fluid would them combine with the CSF and flow through his system. Then Dr. Fakhri would go up through Damon's nasal cavity and look for the colored fluid to be coming out of his leak and repair the spot or spots that need to be patched up. He would use bone from inside Damon's nasal cavity and cleaned cow skin and patch up the spot(s). Damon would then be in the hospital for 3 days or so and then be send home on TOTAL bed rest for 3-4 WEEKS. WHAT!!!! This was suppose to be an out patient surgery. When did it turn into this? We asked him about what we had heard. He then followed up with telling us that it is a very invasive surgery and that it isn't anything like a normal surgery (tonsils, appendix, or any thing like those). We were left speechless and hopeless. I felt like the accident all over again almost. My hopes and I think Damon's hopes were crushed. I am scared for Damon and for the future because even though surgery is never easy, it feels like we were just thrown out into the middle of the ocean without a life vest or raft. One thing that I learned very early on in our marriage with Damon's accident was that Heavenly Father will never put us through something that we can't handle. Now does that mean that our lives are always going to be peachy? Nope! But that we hopefully will be stronger in the end and have a stronger bond and love for our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ. At this point in time, I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel but I know that it is there. I feel the weight of our little family on my shoulders and I need to be strong for them all but sometimes I do get weak and need to cry. But that is okay because I know that I have loved ones and friends that allow me to be human and be scared and tired. As I sit here and think about all that we have been put through in our marriage and now this, I think of the song, "I Won't Let Go" by Rascal Flatts. This song describes so many emotions that I am feeling. It talks about standing by and helping your loved ones out and pulling then through this. I know that I can be strong and help my family through this because I have a loving Father in Heaven that will help me pull through it as well. During Damon's accident I was given a blessing that I would be able to be strong and pull us through that though time. Now I have a feeling that I need that same blessing. Sorry for venting so much. I just feel that everything is falling apart. And on top of all of this, Jay woke up in the middle of the night with 102 fever. Oh the joys of being a wife and mother. But truth, I wouldn't change it for the world!! Thank you all so much for all of your love and prayers, and also for all of the kind words of support through all of this. We really do feel your love and prayers!

No comments: